Background

Anniversary

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Exxonmobil Adventure`

Last week I got the opportunity to go to Santa Barbara for my job at ExxonMobil. My group works the Santa Ynez Unit (SYU) in offshore Santa Barbara, California. It was an amazing experience to see and tour the platforms and processing plants that I work with every day. The only sad part was that Peter couldn't be there with me :(

Thursday (visiting the platforms) was the most exciting day, so that's where all my pictures are from. This is a part of our group, on the dock (Ben, me, Matthew, Haythum). The weather was so beautiful!! Oh, and the sunglasses are actually safety glasses - I was way excited over that.

This is one of our platforms, taken from the boat. I couldn't take any pictures while we were on the platform. The platform is attached to the sea floor, so it doesn't rock or anything. It's huge!! I think it's about ten stories high, and all of the floors/stairs are simple grating. Anytime you look down, you can see the ocean below you. Stair rails are the only things between you and the ocean and sky. It's really neat (and scary). Platforms are where we drill for oil and gas that is under the ocean.


Our group again.

If you look carefully, you can see a man on the platform near one of the vertical poles on the right. That is where we swing from the boat to the platform and back on a rope. Again, the fun/scary duality.

Look closely and you can see the hundreds of seals that take naps on the platform. One time, I saw one of the seals about three stories up on the platform! I have no idea how he managed to get up there. When I got too close, he belly-flopped it back into the ocean. :)

On the boat...

It was a great day that I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. How interesting and crazy at the same time. Hopefully you didn't look down very often while on the platform. And thank heaven for good weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart Lauren! What a fun job

    ReplyDelete