Background

Anniversary

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Building a House - WooHoo!

As the title suggests, Peter and I are pretty excited to be buying our first home, and especially to build it and pick everything out! We've found a really cute neighborhood in Spring, and the building process should get started very soon! We will be in the same ward, and in the same neighborhood as Matt and Haley, our new friends! We couldn't be happier. The house should be finished around the end of October, assumming no hurricanes. The best part is, the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc. will be significantly less than we are paying for rent! Woot!


I'm a little exuberant at this point, so indulge me while I give you a tour:


This is the floorplan - sorry its kind of fuzzy! Paint (the computer program) and I had a little tiff. Anyway, the downstairs is on the left, the upstairs on the right. One bedroom is downstairs, and the master and two other bedrooms are upstairs. We'll use the downstairs bedroom as an office. The house is 2348 square feet, and my favorite part is all of the windows, especially the two bay windows in the breakfast nook and master bedroom. They are so fun! Oh, and our house will be flipped, so the garage is on the right.

Here I am, showcasing our beautiful lot. We love the trees that sit behind the property, and although they will probably be cut down at some point, there will always be a (100 ft?) space of grass between our property and a neighbor in the back. They cleared the space where the house will go pretty much right after we gave them the earnest money! They should be done around Halloween!


Here is the front of the model home, which is the same floorplan as ours (I know its not "ours" yet, but its just easier to say) :)


Here is a view of the great room right after you walk in. Our floor won't be tiled though. I love the triple windows at the back. This is where you will hang out with us when you visit us all the time!! ;)



Another view of the great room. I want to steal all of their decorations! (I just may have to sew up some of those curtains - they are super cute in person)




Here is a view to the kitchen if you're standing in the great room. It's kinda hard to take pictures of the kitchen, since its rather round in design. I like the layout though. In this picture you can see through to the breakfast nook. Oh, and our cabinets will be much taller and prettier :P


Another kitchen view, still hard to see. The door is the pantry. Oh, and our floor will be laminate, so Peter can tile it down the road for much less $!



I love the breakfast nook, and I think it will be a great resale point. You can't see, but the garage door is on the left.



Here is the formal dining room (don't worry, the wasty chandelier will go! :) ) I like that it has two entrances - directly from the kitchen and directly from the great room.


The downstairs bathroom


The bedroom/office from the bathroom. I love that the bedroom connects directly to the bathroom - great for guests/kids/parents! (if used as bedroom) I also love the big walk-in closet!


Quick view of the backyard - definitely smaller than the yards in Utah! Yards aren't valued as much here (something to do with 100+ degrees F and 100% humidity :) )


So here you've got the stairs up front, the great room on the right, the office on the left, and the back door behind you.


Master bedroom!



Another view of master - the door ahead leads to walk-in closet #1 - WOOT no sharing!


The master bath! It was hard to decide what to do with this room. I like combined shower/tub (for the size separate shower offered), but most people prefer separate. I prefer more counterspace and drawers over two sinks, but many people won't buy a house with only one sink. Thus, I am defeated on both points. :) However, I certainly can't complain about such a great bathroom!

It's really funny to me, but here in Texas they build most master baths to have a separate closed space for the toilet. Weird, huh?




Walk-in closet #2, in the master bathroom. I think this one's mine!


The gameroom/playroom/Texas basement!


I love that the utility room is upstairs with the bedrooms!


This is the other full bath upstairs. I really like that the sink area is separated from the shower/toilet - great for multiple kids needing to get ready in the morning!



Upstairs bedroom #1. Food storage for now, nursery for later!


Upstairs bedroom #2, with walk-in closet. This is where you all will stay when you come visit us multiple times a year!!! ;)



Okay, now here comes the fun part! Here are some of the finishes that Peter and I have picked for our house! Sorry, the kitchen is dusty (someone picked the same finishes and and their house is currently being built)



I am so excited about our kitchen! The cabinet color is called "Pearl" and is just my favorite! The tile is also gorgeous in person!




This is my other favorite!!! I LOVE the brick. I LOOOVE it! It was worth it to build just for the brick!




This is the tile we picked out for the fireplace!
Well, hope you enjoyed! We will put up more pictures of our house as it gets built! So fun! Thank you to everyone who has helped talk us through these decisions!

1 comment:

  1. It's going to look great, and we're so excited to have you guys in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete