Anniversary
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Dear Little Mckay
Hello!
It's been almost three years since I last posted, amazing! So our whole Texas experience has been pretty much skipped - sorry about that. I always feel like I need to catch up in order to start blogging/journaling again, and that idea has kept me from posting since it's so overwhelming! But I made a promise to my dear friend that I would start this up again, and I can't imagine a better first post than to introduce you all to my sweet baby Mckay.
Mckay was born exactly one week ago, August 16th! Happy one week birthday! What a week it has been, and I am so blessed. Mckay was so wanted, and we couldn't be happier. In general, some observations about Mckay: he has a very laid back and sweet disposition, like his father. He rarely cries unless he has good reason, and he loves to stare and me and his grandma during hour+ long wakeful periods. He is the most beautiful baby that ever was, with a very round head, a nose like daddy, lips like mommy, and light brown peach fuzz hair that might come in blonde. He's also a very good eater and likes to cuddle a lot.
I have some memories from his first week that I'd like to share. First, his birth was an amazing experience! I was able to deliver him naturally (my goal was to make it half way, but things got quick there at the end), and as a result I felt very present and involved during the experience, which was incredible and very spiritual for me even through the pain. I went into hard labor around 7 pm on Wednesday the 15th, we made it to the hospital just before midnight, and about six hours later Mckay arrived! The last four minutes were the hardest - I dilated from a 7 to a 10 and delivered, but it was great that it happened so fast! Mckay weighed 7 lb 11 oz and measured 19.75 inches long (Peter narrowly won on the weight estimate, and I narrowly took length).
Recovery has been great with the help of my mom here the last week. She's been an utter angel and has helped me to catch up on sleep and energy. There's nothing like Tres Leches Cake and homemade Cafe Rio Pork Salads to help you get back to 100%! I'm sure I haven't thanked her nearly enough, so THANKS MOM!
Funny story for the week - mommy is not so good at changing diapers. It's pretty pathetic. I think I changed some diapers for my youngest sister, but I was eleven and girls are much easier! So I have a grand announcement - Mckay made it through a whole 24 hours in the same outfit - yeah! I went through about 8 a day the first few days (and everyone said I wouldn't need a lot of newborn clothes - ha!) My mom still has to rescue me sometimes when I or clothes get sprayed, but I hope I'll get the hang of it eventually.
On the same note, going to the pediatrician's office was traumatic! I brought two spare diapers and a mini-pack of wipes, no spare outfit and no spare blanket. Result: Mckay ended up naked (well, the pediatrician gave me a diaper) in the carseat on the ride home and I was in tears! Who would have thought no clothes would be spared and three diapers would be soiled? I have a lot to learn! I'm sure it won't happen again now that the diaper bag has two spare outfits, a spare blanket, a big ole thing of wipes, and five spare diapers. Take that!
Thanks so much to all who have offered their well-wishes and support for Mckay, Peter, and me. Life has been quite an adventure the last couple of months! I will never forget the service of those who helped us through the move, celebrated the upcoming arrival of Mckay, provided a listening ear, and continue to be the best friends and family ever. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And with that, enjoy some pictures!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful Lauren! Mckay is the sweetest little guy ever! Can't wait to see him again :) Love you all so much!!
ReplyDelete-The favorite sister and AUNT Catie
Love the post!! You and Peter are going to be amazing parents. There were so many cute pictures. I'm so glad the recovery is going well and that your mom has been there to help make yummy food and help take care of Mckay. Way to go on enduring 10 hours of labor with no meds! You're one amazing woman.
ReplyDeleteYay!! So happy to see you're blogging again! Mckay is adorable and I'm glad your labor went well. Moms are the best! I loved having my mom here to help the week we brought Katie home. She was a life saver! Wish I could be there to help you and meet little Mckay. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of changing diapers soon enough. :) We miss y'all so much! Thanks for the update.
ReplyDelete