Background

Anniversary

Thursday, September 6, 2012

1, 2, 3!

McKay as a zombie or a praying mantis, I can't decide


It's been a whole three weeks!  It's just incredible that McKay's been with us that long; it seems like we just came home.  These weeks have been full of firsts - first walks, first baths, first outings, first bottles, you name it!  It's been so fun (and tiring!).  McKay is still a very sweet boy, and is especially nice to me at night.  He only wakes up to eat, does so in a jiffy, and we're down to only one and a half wakings a night, at 2:00 and the half being 5:00 because I'm not really sure if that should count or not.  I'm definitely not ready to start the day yet, but it's pretty much morning!

Daytime is another story, the crib has been labeled a danger zone - get within ten feet and you'll wake him from the deepest of slumbers!  He mostly likes to be held all day, although by 1:00 he'll endure the swing for a while.  We like to go for a walk in the morning, and in the late afternoons he enjoys being carried around in a wrap.  I'm sure not getting much done besides taking care of him (a shower and maybe some dishes or laundry), but I suppose that's okay at this point.  I don't know how you could possibly handle a newborn with other kids too - wow, you moms are amazing!

So I was so scared to go to the pediatrician again after my last experience and without my mom here to help!  It was a mixed bag - McKay is growing splendidly and no diaper drama occurred, but I learned a little bit about the "mother bear" feeling my mom has told me about.  We were kept waiting for almost 45 minutes again (with poor McKay stripped down and cold) and I got a wee little bit upset.  :(  It didn't help that we had to do the heel stick that day.  He actually had to have two sticks because the first one didn't bleed enough, incidentally because the hot pack they put on his foot to thin the blood had cooled down by the time the doctor came!  He was an ANGEL by the way, didn't even cry for the first stick, and just let out a little squawk for the second.  Contrast the baby the next door down, who wailed for ten minutes!  Anyway, I was a little curt in expressing my concerns about making me wait with a cold, hungry baby for that long and I thought "wow, this isn't like me at all!"  Then I realized the power of the mother bear factor.  Hurt my baby and I'll go kung fu momma on you! 

McKay is now 8 lb, 9 oz (as of Monday on my kitchen scale haha!) and 21 inches.  He's 70th percentile for height, about 50th for weight and head size.  I had a 90th percentile head, so I guess he takes after Peter there.  He actually looks a lot like Peter this week I think.  His legs and arms still haven't chunked up yet, but his cheeks are getting nice and fat.  His hands seems very large to me this week, and I am in love with his little toes! 

Oh, and Peter started law school two weeks ago!  He's really enjoying it, especially his Torts class.  He's gone all day but comes home in time for dinner.  In the evenings he plays with McKay a little bit and then studies.  We throw in a warm chocolate chip cookie break here and there.  :)

Peter likes to hold Mckay while he reads his books

He's got a good grip!  It's amazing to see his little hands next to Peter's.

All bundled up for bed

Very first bath, he loved it!  He's so patient.

Cold after being taken out of the nice warm water

Playing in the activity gym

Our first walk!



First attempt with tummy time, he fell straight to sleep!

So precious

Ready for a ball game!  He likes his froggy Wubbanub binky.

He enjoys sucking on his fingers


Milk coma

Second bath





2 comments:

  1. It's so fun to see pictures of you and Peter as parents!! I love Mckay's face on the "2nd bath" picture. I'm sorry that your pediatrician appointments haven't been ideal. The heel stick is one of my least favorite parts (well all the shots really) of the doctor's visits. Both of my babies screamed bloody murder, and they had to do it twice for Carter as well. It's torture to have to hold your baby while he's getting hurt and thinking, "Mommy, why aren't you protecting me?"
    Love the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! I love all the pictures! I think he looks more like you, but sometimes it's hard to tell when they're still so young. That is so frustrating that you had to wait so long at his dr. appt. I'm glad he didn't cry at his heel pricks though! Sounds like he's a good sleeper and such a sweet baby. Give him a little squeeze from his "Auntie" Kim. :)

    ReplyDelete