Background

Anniversary

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Trial of Lab


So a couple of weeks ago I decided I was really smart, and I split up the work in our Senior Lab group so that the other two did most of the experimenting (since I'm less mechanically inclined), and I did most of the writing. I also decided to be responsible and get my report started early - a first.

So today I wave a happy farewell to my lab partners at the start of lab and go downstairs to continue writing. Then I get this feeling....a really bad feeling. I decide to check up on my lab partners. You know it's a bad sign when one of them greets you with "So....has Sunny told you yet?" Oh dear. Apparently, the extruder we'd been working with is toast (pictured above). An extruder is basically like those playdough toys that you put playdough in, push the lever, and the playdough is pushed through to make a interestingly-shaped long piece of playdough. It was actually a neat project - we were going to see how much recycled material you could use in making a milk jug.
Anyway, the extruder was deemed a high safety hazard, and we are reassigned to the ultrafiltration machine - with the report due next lab period! No kidding! When I protested that I had already written half of the report, my apologetic professor suggested adding it on to the new report as an appendix. :(
The good news is, we thought of a really neat idea for our project! We're going to try making water from the Great Salt Lake drinkable! I'll bring around samples!

No comments:

Post a Comment